Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Operations oversees the day to day operational and business aspects of VisArts and provides the leadership and management necessary to ensure that the organization has the operating controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people and systems in place to maintain financial strength, operating excellence and continued growth. The Director of Operations will direct and coordinate the Facilities + IT, Marketing, Visitor Relations, Private Rental Events departments and all retail functions of the organization and will assist the executive director in the planning and oversight of the organizational budget and in HR and benefits management.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works closely with the Executive Director to set strategic goals and to make daily decisions for the operation and business activities of the organization.
- Support all departments in annual goals planning, periodic review and evaluation aligned with the strategic plan.
- Oversee the HR, Facilities + IT, Marketing, Visitor Relations, Private Event Rental departments.
- Supervise direct reports in the Facilities + IT, Marketing, Visitor Relations, Private Event Rental departments; set annual goals and evaluations based on organizational priorities; take leadership role in hiring and both positive and negative discipline of direct reports.
- Work alongside the Executive Director on all Human Resources matters including recruitment & hiring processes, compensation, employee performance review and goal setting, training, and annual benefits review + PTO.
- Oversee all retail functions of the organization.
- Manages the organization’s facilities, IT, rental events, retail, marketing budget and printing and postage budget.
- Oversee customer support and works to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Revises and/or formulates organizational policies and promote implementation.
- Manage relationships with external vendors.
- Reports on the organization’s operations including facilities and marketing and communications activities to the Board of Directors.
- Acts on behalf of the Executive Director in her absence.
- Evaluate regularly the efficiencies of the operations and business procedures of the organization and apply improvements.
- Work closely with Executive Director on the annual budget process and quarterly departmental reviews.
- Review financial information and adjust budgets to promote sustainability and growth.
FUNDRAISING AND RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
- Assist the ED and Director of Development with annual fundraising plan and implementation.
- Provides strategic business, technical and resource support to fundraising efforts.
- Oversees the organization’s marketing and communications plan; determines communications priorities and allocates budget and time accordingly.
- Job mastery and continuous learning
This position would oversee the Facilities, Marketing, Front Desk/Customer Service staff members, interns, work-study and volunteers. Additionally, this role works closely with the Executive Director, Director of Education and Programs and Director of Development on staff oversight, review and training.
This job operates in a professional office environment within a creative art center. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Occasional special event attendance and support is required.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some active special event attendance and support is required. This would require the ability to lift light objects, set up booths/stations/events and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Average Hours of Work per week
Limited travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years of management experience
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office Suites, Adobe Creative Suite and communications software
- General aptitude or proficiency of technology and systems support
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EEO / AA Statement
Visual Arts of Richmond provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Visual Arts of Richmond complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.