Looking for one-on-one instruction on a specific topic or process?
VisArts is happy to arrange private instruction for individuals or small groups of 2-3 students.
With over 200 amazing teachers to work with, and 17 different studios in our building, we can accommodate many interests and can work with you individually to create something based on your interests.
Many of our classes can be adapted as a private lesson. Let us know if you’ve seen a class in our catalog but aren’t ready to take it with a full class, or if you want a one-on-one experience with an instructor. To get you started, here are examples of topics and teachers who can work with you:
- General project support + critique
- Creativity coaching
- Beginner-Intermediate Wheel Throwing
- Beginner-Intermediate Hand Building
- Beginner-Intermediate Surface Decoration
- Basic Photo Editing and Organizing
- How to make Photobooks in Lightroom
- Preparing Photos for Fine Art Printing in Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop
- Beginner Cartooning
- All Levels Drawing
- All Levels Pastels
- All Levels Zentangles
- All Levels Pen + Ink
- All Levels Scientific Illustration
- Beginning E-textiles
- Beginning Crochet
- All Levels Embroidery
- All Levels Quilting
- All Levels Fabric Printing
- All Levels Fabric Dyeing
- All Levels Sewing
- All Levels Leatherworking
- All Levels Patternmaking
- All Levels Fashion Illustration
- All Levels Knitting
- All Levels Stained Glass
- All Levels
Metals + Jewelry
- Beaded Jewelry
- Beginner Metal Jewelry
- Beginner-Intermediate Blacksmithing
- Beginner-Intermediate Silversmithing
- Beginner-Intermediate Enameling
- All Levels Encaustic Painting
- All Levels Oil Painting
- Beginner-Intermediate (any subject matter)
- All Levels Portrait Painting
- All Levels Digital Photography
- Beginner-Intermediate Wet Plate Collodion
- All Levels Film Photography + Darkroom
- All Levels Experimental Darkroom Photography: chemigrams, solarization, multiple exposures
- Beginner Alternative Processes: Cyanotypes, Lumen
- Advanced Alternative Processes including Digital Negatives
- All Levels Short Fiction (Generative workshops, revision intensives, craft discussions)
- Beginner-Intermediate Creative Non-Fiction (Generative workshops, revision intensives, craft discussions)
- Intermediate-Advanced Novel Writing: writing a draft or taking a draft to the final version
The cost for private lessons is $55/hour for the first student and an additional $40/hour for each additional student. We are happy to work with you to divide that total amongst all participants!
How it works:
- Fill out the form below so we can learn more about you, what you want to learn, and your schedule.
- We’ll reach back out to you to recommend a teacher and number of hours.
- Private lessons must be a minimum of two hours long, and can expand to weekend workshops, week-long intensives or multi-week classes. You and the instructor can work together to determine class length in order to best achieve what you’re hoping to learn.
- We can work with your schedule to accommodate day, evening, or weekend lessons.
- Private lessons can be on–site in our studios or online. Some classes can only be taught on–site or if you have specific equipment at home.
- Materials are not included in the class fee. Once we have scheduled your private lesson, we will determine how to handle materials. You will either be responsible for purchasing materials yourself, or you will purchase materials directly from us. For clay classes, you can purchase clay from our center and pay for firing and glazing separately based on what you create.
Not all requests can be accommodated due to teacher availability or scheduling needs.
Questions? Contact Tesni Stephen at email@example.com.