Creative Writing Residency
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond (VisArts) extends an invitation for writers to apply for the organization’s 11-month emerging artists residency program. One writer, without a published full-length book, will be invited to spend the year creating new work.
The resident writer will:
- Work in residence at VisArts’ residency space
- Teach up to two classes at VisArts in the winter and spring sessions. Please note that residents are paid for teaching under a separate contract.
- Host open studio events during major events throughout the year
- Give a public reading
- Host regular studio visits with donors, funders and friends of the organization, as requested
VisArts will provide the resident writer with:
- $5,000 honorarium
- $500 materials budget to be used for individual projects or toward their reading or other event
- Private instruction hours from a VisArts instructor
- Small, private studio space
- Consultation with a literary agent at the conclusion of the residency
- Professional headshot
- Annual membership to the Visual Arts Center of Richmond
- One-year membership to James River Writers
- Registration fee to attend the James River Writers Conference, which takes place in October
Participants can be established and emerging writers without a published full-length book. Writers must be over the age of 18.
All artists are welcome to apply, but in an effort to address systemic inequalities, we will prioritize applications from BIPOC artists and those that come from groups that have been historically underrepresented due to age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or socioeconomic status.
Residents are required to live in Richmond for the year of their residency and are expected to become vibrant members of the VisArts community. They cannot be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and must commit to spending at least 20 hours a week in the studio. Living quarters are not available, and at this time, we cannot accept international applicants.
HOW TO APPLY
We will be accepting applications for the 2022-23 VisArts Artist Residency Program. All applications will be reviewed by a jury, and finalists will complete a short virtual interview prior to being offered the residency. All applications are accepted through Jotform via the link below and there is no fee to apply. Please e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions.
2023-2024 Annual Writer Residency
Residency Dates: September 1, 2023 – July 31, 2024
Application opens: February 6, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
Application deadline: April 3, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
We will notify all applicants by June 15, 2023.
Have questions about this program? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.