Fashionable Macaroni Necklace
CREATE A Fashionable Macaroni Necklace!
Craft + Design Medium: Jewelry
Ages: 5+ (younger artists will need an adult’s help)
Safety Considerations: None
Time: 1.5 hours (including drying time)
Description: Get inspired by the concepts of jewelry artist Holly Anne Mitchell, who rethinks the everyday object of newspaper and creates new, meaningful, + wearable art with it. Create your own sculptural + colorful necklace made of the everyday object, macaroni!
Conversation Questions: Journal about, think about or ask each other these questions:
- Which words or pictures do you see in the work of Holly Anne Mitchell? Why do you think she chooses those parts of the newspaper?
- What new MEANING is she creating with this everyday object, newspaper?
- Which other materials do you see in Holly Anne Mitchells work?
- Which other everyday objects around you can be turned into wearable art? Go on a treasure hunt to find them.
- Dried macaroni pasta with holes (any shape or size will work as long as you can put a cord through it)
- Acrylic paint + a paintbrush
- Paint markers
- A cord or thick yarn
- Choose a variety of noodles with holes in them and cover your work area to protect it
- Paint noodles in a variety of colors
- Lay out everything to dry
- Use paint markers to add designs, or use paint and a small brush
- You can even add words to create a meaningful message like Holly Anne Mitchell
- After your beads dry, organize them into colors, and lay them out in the design that you would like to string them
- String the noodles onto your cord. Tip: Cording is easier to get through curves because it’s more stiff. Floppy string can go through straight noodles more easily.
- Use different shaped noodles to create a unique design for your necklace